The following are answers of the exercise, Formulating Definitions, in EfS p 72:
2) An antibiotic is a drug that cures bacterial diseases.
3) A lung is an organ for breathing.
4) Acoustics is the science of sound.
5) Photosynthesis is the process by which plants manufacture food.
6) A catalyst is a substance that speeds up but is not changed by a chemical reaction.
7) A calorie is a unit that measures heat. OR A calorie is a unit for measuring heat.
8) A cyclotron is an apparatus that bombards the nuclei of atoms.
Hope this is helpful!